Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Oswos.net

Some of you may already have seen Oswos, my (not all too bad) attempt to create a simple webserver for a netbook. Now the performance is nothing compared to Nginx on a Debian server. But I've learned a lot during the development of this.


One thing that came to my mind while working on Oswos was the interest for server management. I wanted Oswos to contain an easy to maintain server management tool. But was far to busy getting bugs out of the webserver. That's why I descided to build some simple open source tools and applications to help you maintain your server and keep your sites up and running.

The first tool I'm building is an IP Monitoring tool. Why? Because I host a couple of websites on my dynamic IP webserver and want to be notified when the IP address changes so I can update the DNS.

This project contains 2 parts:
1. A simple python script which you can install on your server. This script poll's every x minutes if the IP has changed and pushes a message to your phone.
2. A simple Android application which receives the push notifications from the python script and displays the notification.

The android application is almost ready for deployment on GitHub, the Python scripts need an implementation of the push service for Android. Once the prototype is working, I'll give an update on this blog. After that I'll be focussing on the simple deployment and installation of this (and other) scripts.
I'm really curious about what you think of this idea, maybe have some input, or want to help set this "brand for server tools" up.

Also check out the new layout of www.luuk.it and tell me if you like it.

Best wishes and have a creative, meaningfull 2013 by doing the stuff you love.

Luuk

No comments:

Post a Comment